Hello there, I’m Wee Ling from chopchopcurrypok and I’m back again for my second (and last) installment. Thanks Euphemia for this lovely jaunt at her blog. Hope you guys have as much fun as I did. Till later !
1. Where there is a red light district, there’s tasty Thai food. Well, at least that’s how it works in Wan Chai. I’m always going to Lockhart Road to satisfy my Thai food cravings, currently rather obsessively at about 1-2 times a week. While I’m hardly a proper Thai expert (there’s someone else who is better qualified), I do know it’s not easy finding restaurants that serve Goong Chae Nam Pla (raw white prawns with spicy fish sauce). I go to Thai Farmer Restaurant solely for this dish, no stomachaches so far. Hurray !
2. Beyond the air-conditioned shopping malls and super-dense concrete jungle Hong Kong is usually known for, there are actually plenty of fantastic beaches, islands and hiking trails to explore that are unfortunately much neglected by stopover tourists and Singaporeans on eat-and-shop weekend getaways. It is amazing how one can be in the midst of nature just 30 minutes from the hustle and bustle of downtown Hong Kong.
3. Wanton mee and fishball noodles are delicious and everywhere but it’s just not the same without pickled green chilli and red chilli in soy sauce respectively.
4. Excerpts from my Twitter timeline yesterday –
@weelingsoh: Stepped out of the office, it’s so humid even my fingers are feeling sticky. #FirstTasteOfHKSummer #KillMeNow
@notabilia: @weelingsoh, um, didn’t you grow up in Singapore :)? #HKHasSeasons #SingaporeisSweltering
5. Whenever I’m in Central with friends and we need to get a drink, my favorite place to head to has got to be the roof garden at the Hong Kong Fringe Club. It’s probably Central’s best kept secret but that depends on how swanky one is. Swanky types will probably turn their noses up at the venue but I like it just fine, away from the pretentious din of nearby Wyndham Road and its crowded sidewalks. Don’t forget it is closed on Sundays though.
Thai Farmer Restaurant
98 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Fringe Club 藝穗會 roof garden
2 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong
+852 2521 7251